Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mariposa Study #3 - painted photograph

I'm a bit obsessed with butterflies and took a slew of pictures down in Key West at a butterfly garden. Over the last couple of years I've used the images over and over again in various art pieces but have never just printed the single frame images. Several months ago I was leaving for an art residency and looking through my photo archive. I was struck again by the beauty and vibrant colors of the butterflies and thought I should really do something with these in bold, vivid color - but what? I printed a few out and started to play with some fabulous inks I got for Christmas from my beloved's mother. What a fun way to spend a residency! I love the combination of ink with the photographs and thrilled to start combining my love of photography and illustration.

2 comments:

Hi and thanks for commenting! I really appreciate hearing from you.